Blackout curtains were invented in Finland, where white nights are common. Thanks to the material that does not let light through, blackout proved to be a real salvation. With their help, the bedroom becomes as dark as night in a split second.
What is the purpose of blackout curtains? The purpose of blackout curtains is the absolute blocking of sunlight. Blackout curtains are popular for their qualities such as fire resistance, noise and thermal insulation. During the manufacture of the fabric, a complex technology of interlacing of threads is used, which ensures its universal properties.
Blackout Curtains Pros:
The main advantages of using blackout curtains are:
- Blackout curtains block up to 95% of sunlight. Blackout curtains provide a comfortable rest even when the sun has been shining outside the window for a long time. They are ideal for use in the bedroom and children’s room.
In addition, the density of canvases plays into the hands of the owners of large and small cinemas, photo studios and other establishments whose activities require a high degree of room darkening. You can achieve excellent results if you buy blackout curtains, including roll options that are easy to raise and lower.
- Upon contact with an open flame, the material does not burn and does not release toxic substances into the air.
- The curtains are highly durable and resistant to all types of dirt. Blackout curtains can last for decades and do not lose their properties and attractiveness. The fact is that the material is impregnated with a special compound that protects the canvases from fading and mechanical damage, deformation of curtains or roll blackout.
- When washed, they do not lose their properties and original appearance.
- They do not require ironing, they hold their shape well and can be easily draped.
- Backout curtains have a high density of the fabric, wear resistance.
- Blackout curtains provide thermal and sound insulation. If you want to keep the room quiet and ensure that the optimal temperature regime is maintained, even if the weather is freezing outside, use blackout curtains. They will give you warmth and comfort. The fabric is so dense that the rumble of the street and drafts will not bother you.
- Blackout curtains are not toxic and are safe for human health.
- Blackout curtains ensure the long-term preservation of external qualities, colour stability.
- Blackout curtains are fire-safe (the fabric smoulders, but does not ignite).
- Blackout curtains do not cause allergic reactions, therefore they are indicated for use in the bedroom and children’s room, medical and school facilities.
- Aesthetics. Blackout curtains look really beautiful, they can become a real highlight of the interior. There are a lot of colour solutions, you can choose exactly the shade that is ideal for wallpaper and furniture that are already in the room. You have the option to buy blackout curtains made of smooth fabric or printed fabrics.
- Affordable price. Purchasing blackout curtains won’t hurt your budget. The cost of the products is low, it is not much higher than the same indicator established for ordinary canvases. The total amount depends on the footage, design features and curtain manufacturer.
Blackout Curtains Cons: Why Are Blackout Curtains Bad?
- Colour. The ability of the material to absorb light and protect the room from the penetration of sunlight, forcing manufacturers to dye fabric in dark shades.
- Reflective ability. Not all curtains of this type are capable of reflecting light. Before buying, you should bring the sample to the sun or an artificial light source and check whether it copes well enough with the duty imposed on it — not to let the sun go through.
- There are a lot of fake cheap blackout curtains that you need to avoid. Buy curtains of this type only from trusted suppliers.
Blackout Curtains: 5 Fast Facts
Are Blackout Curtains Toxic?
Blackout curtains are not toxic. This fabric is most often made entirely of synthetic materials. Polyester is widely used – polyester fibre, safe, practical and durable. Due to the quality of raw materials, complex structure and density, blackout textiles have the following positive qualities: the fabric is safe, non-toxic, non-allergenic.
Do Blackout Curtains Block Noise?
Blackout curtains protect not only from light but also from noise. It is reported that blackout curtains block 90-100% of light and 30% of sound. If you want to keep the room quiet and ensure that the optimal temperature regime is maintained, even if the weather is freezing outside, use blackout curtains. They will give you warmth and comfort.
What Is the Best Fabric for Blackout Curtains?
The best fabric for blackout curtains is polyester. Blackout is made mainly from synthetic fibres and other chemical materials. The most commonly used thread is polyester. It is a popular synthetic material that is given varying textures and densities during manufacture. Polyester is easy to care for, does not wrinkle, retains its shape and is lightfast.
There are many options for reflective curtains, depending on your preferences and goals. They have different light absorption coefficients.
So when placing Japanese curtains, two materials are hung on the windows – dense and transparent. With their help, the owner of the premises is able to control daylight.
The most common blackout curtains are roller models. They are used in public entertainment-type establishments, in offices, as well as in high-tech home interiors. If you cannot find a product of this type you like in the store, you can make reflective curtains yourself. To do this, you need to buy two fabrics: bright and opaque and sew them together.
For manufacturing, they use mainly polyester and viscose threads. The fabrics are capable of imitating tapestry, silk or satin.
How heavy are blackout curtains? Due to its structure, the backout curtains material is very dense and rather heavy. A piece of fabric with an area of 1 sq. m weighs an average of 270 g.
Can you see through blackout curtains at night? You cannot see through blackout curtains at night as well as during the day. The fabric is created on the basis of 3 layers, due to this it is quite stable and durable. The main layer is dense, sometimes it has black threads in the weave. The seamy side is a beating light, as well as a third decorative layer, which can be either plain or with additional decorations in the form of prints.
Blackout Curtain Care
Can I wash blackout curtains in the washing machine? Thanks to its unique structure, blackout curtains can be washed in the washing machine. After washing, the curtain will not lose its properties.
Can you iron blackout fabric? Blackout curtains also do not need to be ironed. It is best to set the automatic wash to manual mode and set the temperature to 40 degrees.
Can you put blackout curtains in the dryer? Blackout curtains need to be dried in the shade. However, blackout curtains can be put in the dryer.
Curtains do not require systematic washing. Water procedures for them will be enough if they are carried out no more often than once a year.
It is not recommended to wash blackout curtains obtained by means of spraying. The protective and decorative layer is erased, and the curtain loses not only its appearance but also its functional features.
Should You Sleep with Blackout Curtains?
You should sleep with blackout curtains. It’s all about comfortable conditions for sleeping as blackouts darken the room by 85-100%, it is this level that is required for the production of the hormone melatonin. This important element of our body is responsible for a huge number of processes: strengthening the immune system, normalizing pressure, stabilizing the nervous system, replenishing energy and renewing cells.
Sleeping in a lighted room disrupts its production, and the consequences can be dire. In 2018, at the White Nights International Cancer Forum, scientists spoke about long-term studies of the human body’s response to light and darkness – it turned out that sleeping in the dark prevents the development of malignant tumours.
Violation of the same regime and conditions of sleep accelerates the ageing process, causes diabetes, cardiovascular disease, obesity and depression.
Neuroscientists have shown that sleeping with an insignificant source of natural or artificial light, such as passing through curtains from the street, affects the chemical balance and structure of the brain, damages the immune system and circadian rhythms, interfering with the production of the hormone melatonin. If there is not enough melatonin, stress and insomnia begin, as well as failures in almost all organs and systems, which over time can lead to serious health problems.
Both natural and artificial light, which penetrates the room even through curtains made of standard curtain fabric, is equally unhelpful for good sleep and recovery of the body.
Thus, blackout curtains are an objective necessity, allowing not only to independently regulate the level of lighting in the house but also to maintain health, youth and ensure sound healthy sleep.
Which Is Better Blackout Curtains or Blinds?
When you are asking yourself which is better — blackout curtains or blinds, you need to understand that blinds have long been considered an office option, while blackout curtains are considered to create cosiness. Blinds are practical, stylish and affordable, while blackout curtains are popular for their qualities such as fire resistance, noise and thermal insulation.
Regardless of what you will prefer — blinds or blackout curtains, there are some basic rules to follow in order not to spoil the look of the room.
First of all, it is worth choosing the colour and pattern of the blinds or curtains.
There are two principles to help you navigate. The first one is to keep the dominant colour in the interior. For example, if the wallpaper or furniture upholstery dominates, then the colour of the blinds and curtains should be in harmony with the main colours. Another option involves choosing a colour for blinds or curtains that would contrast with the base colour.
To prevent the window from being lost in the interior, it is better to choose either lighter fabrics or darker ones compared to the main colour of the walls or furniture. If furniture or walls are patterned or, for example, striped, then it is better to choose plain curtains for windows and vice versa.
For low ceilings, curtains or blinds starting from the ceiling are best. Optically raise the ceiling and contrasting colours. Cold, light shades will visually enlarge the space.
Abundant decorations can visually reduce the space, while simple uncomplicated ones, on the contrary, will enlarge the room. For large rooms, rich warm fabrics with expressive patterns are more suitable.
At the same time, blinds do not provide the same softness of the atmosphere, as well as additional energy-saving, as blackout curtains in the interior of the apartment. Therefore, the trend has become a combination of blinds with various types of curtains:
- vertical blinds “made friends” with lambrequins and curtains;
- horizontal blinds go with light curtains, French, Venetian, Austrian, Roman curtains.
When choosing blinds for an apartment, it is worth considering the specifics of your house. A living room that is too spacious, even decorated in a modern style, they will give an official look. But for the bathroom and kitchen, they will be a good choice due to their practicality.
Beautiful windows should be in harmony with the interior in style and meet the specifics of the room, filling it with the necessary atmosphere. The home we return to every day after a busy day should be cosy and comfortable. Curtains, after all, are a priority, moreover, the choice is wide.