Glass tiles have long been considered impractical. It was assumed that they would crack quickly because of minimal mechanical stress. That is not true at all. In fact, glass tiles can act as an excellent cladding coating that is much more interesting than using standard ceramic tiles. Glass tiles are becoming more and more popular for showers. Let’s find out whether glass tiles are really good for showers and you will make your final decision.
Are glass tiles good for showers? Glass tiles are very good for showers because considering all their characteristics, they are designed to decorate rooms that have constant contact with water: showers, swimming pools, bathrooms, sinks, fountains, etc. Glass tiles are characterized by high wear resistance and are a bright decorative component.
Pros and Cons of Glass Tiles:
Pros of Glass Tiles:
- Glass tiles are strong and durable. Glass is durable and can withstand frost and moisture. Glass tiles can up to 30 years, provided that you look after them properly. Glass tiles are durable and they retain their colour for a fairly long period. As for the colour retaining, it applies not only to neutral transparent tiles but also to coloured surfaces. Coloured tiles are often used to improve the interior. It complements the design favourably, making it more interesting and lively.
- Glass tiles are safe and eco-friendly. The glass mosaic is completely safe for human and animal health, as only natural materials are used in its production.
The tile is completely harmless to health because it is made from natural raw materials.
In addition, the technology of its manufacture saves energy, because the amount that was spent for the production of the full volume of the mosaic would only be enough to produce half of the volume of ordinary ceramics. Another plus is that recyclable materials are often used to make mosaics.
- Glass tiles are presented in a variety of designs. This is perhaps the main argument that makes consumers opt for glass mosaics. There are many design options and the colour palette can be limitless.
- Glass tiles have the ability to reflect light. For this reason, glass tiles are often used to visually expand the space in a small room. Often the material is used to decorate bathrooms with low ceilings. Thanks to this solution, the height of the walls visually increases. The room does not seem so small anymore, everything in it looks harmonious and compact at the same time.
Glass tiles are stylish and beautiful. Glittering and iridescent glass mosaic is spectacular and beautiful. The surface of the glass mosaic is capable of reflecting light, which makes this type of finishing material very desirable, especially if there is a need to visually increase the space.
- Glass tiles have high resistance to moisture. This is an important point in case you decide to use this cladding material for wall decoration in a kitchen or bathroom. Even with long-term use, the tiles do not lose their original properties and appearance.
The moisture resistance of the material allows it to be used in damp rooms, in places with constant pollution: bathroom and kitchen. Caring for glass tiles is simple, does not require special products, and is not afraid of exposure to chemical and abrasive particles.
- Glass tiles are easy to clean and to keep clean. When using detergents, the glass does not break, there are no scratches or other defects on it. If you are concerned about these problems, you can choose a product specifically designed for glass surfaces.
Due to the durability and strength of the material, glass tile does not form mould, mildew and stains. Also, this finishing material is resistant to the chemical attack of aggressive household chemicals and is not afraid of the effects of chemicals and many inorganic and organic acids.
- Are glass tiles out of style? No way that glass tiles are out of style. They have long been very popular and stylish. Glass tiles have excellent decorative qualities. Most often, glass tiles are specially used in the interior in order to provide a kind of “luxury” effect.
Cons of Glass Tiles:
- Cost. You will have to pay for beauty and decorativeness. The price of glass mosaic is its main disadvantage since they cost a pretty penny. How much does glass tile cost? On average, you will have to pay 500$ per 100 square feet of glass tiles. Do not forget that you will have to pay around 30-40$ for glass tiles installation per 1 square foot.
- Glass tiles are pretty hard to install. Again, you will most likely need to hire a professional and you will end up paying 30-40$ per square foot.
- Glass tiles have a slippery surface. Can glass tile be used on the floor? It is better not to use glass tiles on the floor since the surface of the mosaic is quite smooth and there is a huge chance of falling. If you do want to use glass tiles on the floor, buy a rug for your bathroom.
- Glass tiles scratch easily. Even though they are durable and resistant to stains, but they can be easily scratchedю The facing material has poor resistance to strong mechanical stress. As for light impacts, they can leave small scratches and even chips on the tiles.
To avoid such problems, experts recommend paying special attention to the correct installation technology. A solid and high-quality base will help prevent damage.
Glass tiles are fragile. This quality is typical for any glass. Although the mosaic has excellent wear resistance, if heavy objects fall on it, then it is already powerless. The surface is also very easy to scratch, and therefore requires careful handling. If the floor cladding is constantly subjected to such tests, then very soon it will be necessary to make new repairs and new styling.
Today glass is considered to be one of the most unusual and stylish finishing materials. Thanks to the significant development of technology for the manufacture of glass and glass products, this transparent sparkling material can be found literally everywhere. Modern glass is resistant to wearing off, making it even suitable for the production of glass bathtubs, sinks and glass tiles for bathrooms, floors and walls. Glass tiles are in style now and can be found literally everywhere.
Made of glass, such a cladding has all the qualities of a trivial ceramic tile, but in addition to them, it has its own specific advantages. First of all, we are talking about the perfect preservation of the shape and size of the product, because glass, unlike ceramic clay, does not deform during production, and this allows you to achieve the highest calibration accuracy.
It is also worth mentioning that the tempered glass practically does not wear out. Here it is, a dream come true of eternal beauty: glass tiles are practically unaffected by water, sun and time. A bathroom finish like this is almost impossible to spoil when treated with respect. With this material, your bathroom design will compare favourably with traditional ones.
How to Choose Glass Tile for a Bathroom?
- Check the moisture-resistance level. When choosing glass tiles for a bathroom, consider the degree of moisture resistance of the tile. The durability of the material directly depends on this. Remember that not all types of glass mosaics are suitable for flooring. Some are completely smooth and can be slippery.
- Manufacturer. The next thing to look out for is the manufacturer. Choose high quality and reliable material, best of all, represented by a well-known brand. In this case, you will be completely sure of the high technical properties of glass tiles.
- Choose your adhesive carefully. There are special types of adhesives designed specifically for glass mosaics as they will be the best option.
- The grout should be water-resistant to prevent moisture seeping under the tiles and deteriorating the substrate.
- Think carefully about the future style that you are going to install the glass tiles, and then carefully select the tiles by colours, shades and shape. If there is no specific pattern, then it is better to purchase not separate parts in the form of scattering, but special sheets with tiles glued to them. Once laid, the base is easily detached from the tiles, simplifying the finishing process.
- The appearance of the glass tile. The tile should harmoniously fit into the interior of the room, complementing it with its uniqueness. Particular attention should be paid to coloured material. Green, white or amber tiles will be a real decoration in any room. Decide in advance for what purposes you will use the material. Often glass tiles are used to decorate arches and partitions in the bathroom.
Why Is Glass Tile So Expensive?
Glass tiles are so expensive because of their manufacturing. Glass tiles are made of fine quartz white sand. The sand is turned into a glass liquid mass, which is poured into moulds (standard dimensions: 1×1-5×5 cm). Glittering and iridescent glass mosaics are obtained by adding minerals to the mass.
Glass mosaic is an alloy of siliceous sand and other components with the addition of colouring oxides. As a result of remelting quartz sand, feldspar, soda with metal oxides at a temperature of 1400 ° C – 1600 ° C, a homogeneous mass is obtained, which is formed by injection moulding at a temperature of 1000 ° C.
Is glass tile more expensive than ceramic? Glass tile is more expensive than ceramic because the competition in the high-quality mosaic market is still small, so this material will cost the buyer on average 1.5-2 times more expensive than ceramic tiles. The base for the glass mosaic requires more careful preparation, and the installation itself needs special compounds (adhesives) and grouting, not to mention the sufficient qualifications of the professional.
Also, you need much more grout for glass tiles since they form more joints.
How Do You Clean Shower Glass Tiles?
Shower glass tiles are insensitive to most acids and alkaline earth metals at home. For cleaning and maintenance, use only suitable products with a pH of 3 to 10. Avoid contact with substances such as vinegar, hygienic cleaner, lemon juice, etc. (PH value below 3), they are acidic and can lighten or damage.
To preserve the properties and the original appearance of the tile, it is necessary to provide proper care for the material. Basically, glass options are “unpretentious” in this regard. But for cleaning surfaces, it is best to use products designed for this material. In this case, dirt is removed from the surface much faster. In addition, stains do not remain on the glass tiles.
Particular attention must be paid to cleaning if the facing material is used in the kitchen to decorate the work area. Fat, constant evaporation, moisture – all these affect the tiles in their own way, gradually changing its original appearance for the worse.