More and more people opt for natural materials when they are decorating the interior of modern rooms. Bamboo roller blinds are one of the natural products that can make the atmosphere of a room more comfortable and at the same time unusual. Today I have prepared an ultimate guide on bamboo blinds — what their pros and cons are and how to choose and clean them.
Bamboo Blinds Pros:
- Bamboo blinds have unique properties. Bamboo is environmentally friendly, as it grows quickly it does not have time to accumulate harmful substances from the environment. In addition, the plant has an antimicrobial and antibacterial effect.
- Bamboo blinds are safe and good for your health. Bamboo blinds are safe to use in rooms where there are newborn children and people with allergies. They are indispensable for those who care about their health and pay attention to a high standard of living.
- Bamboo blinds are very light and compact. Lightweight allows you to install the bamboo blinds even on the drywall. Also, if you want to change your blinds, you can simply roll your bamboo blinds and they will not occupy much space.
- Bamboo blinds are almost waterproof. They have high moisture resistance. Bamboo is a material that is able to withstand high humidity. In addition, the fabric is treated with special impregnation which enhances this quality. Due to moisture resistance, bamboo roller blinds can be hung in the bathroom, on the balcony or in the kitchen.
- Bamboo blinds have an antistatic effect. The smoothness of the bamboo stems and the special impregnation make it possible for the blinds to repel dust and look like new for a very long time. So, you should definitely get bamboo blinds for your children’s room or your kitchen if you do not want to change them often.
- Bamboo blinds are resistant to ultraviolet radiation. Bamboo is a plant grown in the tropical heat. In addition, bamboo blinds have a special coating that prevents burnout. That is why you can hang them even if your windows face the south as they will remain in perfect condition.
- Bamboo blinds pass air well. Bamboo is a porous material which allows the air to flow all the time. Such air exchange creates a healthy microclimate in the room.
- Bamboo blinds are easy to clean and maintain. Just wipe the canvas with a damp cloth or a special brush and they will serve you for a very long time.
If you do not wash your bamboo blinds they will only get a bit darker but they will not look dirty.
It is not recommended to use household chemicals when cleaning bamboo products. The components contained in the cleaning solutions can make the colour fade away.
- Bamboo blinds are suitable for any interior due to a variety of shades and types. They can be combined with almost any modern style, except, perhaps, classic and empire but it is a matter of taste. They can be hung almost everywhere — in the living room, bedroom or children’s room. You can even hang them in the kitchen and bathroom.
- In total, there are about 200 types of bamboo in the world. This diversity allows manufacturers to produce bamboo blinds in completely different colours and shades.
- Bamboo blinds will create soft lighting in your room. Can you see through bamboo blinds? You can see through bamboo blinds even with tightly woven bamboo strips which will let the sunlight in.
Bamboo Blinds Cons:
- Bamboo blinds easily absorb odours, so you should get them for the kitchen only if you have a powerful cooker hood. If you want to hang bamboo blinds in the bedroom or living room, then this disadvantage will not be a very big problem.
- Natural bamboo blinds, especially hand-made ones, are very expensive. For example, they can cost around 100-150$ in Walmart. But since you do need to change them often, it can be quite a reasonable price.
- Size limitations. Bamboo blinds have size restrictions as they can deform under their own weight. On average, you will find bamboo blinds that are 180 cm wide. If you have big windows you will need to install several separate narrow stripes.
- Bamboo blinds do not protect you against cold and noise. But they do keep the heat out.
- Bamboo shades do not provide privacy. They are not installed on the door of the bathroom, toilet, bedroom or private office.
- Bamboo blinds will not be suitable for bright and colourful design as they have a small colour scheme and they are mainly represented by natural beauty.
Best Outdoor Bamboo Shades Ideas
How to Choose Bamboo Blinds? Useful Tips.
Bamboo blinds have a variety of shades, stem structures and weaving methods. Therefore, it is crucial to choose the bamboo blinds that will match your overall design. By the way, bamboo blinds can be hung not only on the window but also in a doorway. You can also use bamboo blinds to divide the room into functional zones. It is all up to you, but now I want to share some useful tips on how to choose bamboo blinds.
Bamboo blinds of light tones will help to create a festive atmosphere. They look elegant on the windows of the rooms, made in European, California, Mediterranean styles. Light coloured bamboo blinds are ideal for decorating the living room, hall, bedroom.
Dark-coloured bamboo blinds will be perfect for the ethnic interior and will highlight the design of the room in Asian or Japanese style. They can be hung in the children’s room, in the kitchen or in the hall. Dark-coloured bamboo blinds are popular not only at home but also in different restaurants or art galleries.
Bamboo blinds can be hung on a metal or a wooden cornice. Wooden cornice will emphasize the natural charm of the material while the metal will provide more convenient control of the blinds.
You can combine bamboo blinds with other interior elements to create an unusual room design. Bamboo looks good in combination with cotton, sisal, linen and other natural fabrics. Adding silk, cambric, and light tulle material will add freshness and romance to the atmosphere of the room.
However, you should not combine bamboo with brocade, velour or organza — designers say that their luxury will be completely lost. But it is undoubtedly a matter of taste. I personally am not a fan of chasing the latest trends and I always follow my heart, first of all.
Bamboo blinds will make any room exotic adding unusualness and naturalness to it. Due to their durability and ease of use and maintenance, they will become a real “treasure” when decorating the interior.
Are Bamboo Blinds Worth It?
Bamboo blinds are definitely worth it as they have so many important advantages. The main advantage of bamboo is its environmental friendliness and naturalness, which is very important for many of us. Bamboo blinds are recommended for people suffering from allergies, asthma, as it is a natural material in the house, which will not act as an irritant. In addition, after long use of various plastic materials, it became clear that natural components are the best materials in home decoration.
A great advantage of bamboo blinds is the price. Thee are fairly cheap because bamboo is a very unpretentious plant that grows quickly not requiring any special care. Young bamboo sticks are very flexible and at the same time durable so they are easy and convenient to use.
A large number of different types of bamboo makes it possible to produce products of various colours, shades and textures. There is something for everyone.
However, you need to be careful with getting bamboo blinds if your room faces the south as bamboo shades do not block all the light. Bamboo blinds are designed specifically for slight light dimming. Bamboo blinds fit perfectly into any design, gently diffusing the light and do not require special care. This is ideal when you want to decorate the room and create a slight light dimming.
Bamboo blinds are very easy to clean and maintain. They do not need to be washed for a long time. Just use a damp cloth to wipe bamboo blinds from dust when necessary. But remember that they easily absorb odours, this is a big disadvantage for me. But if you do not hang them in the kitchen, you are all fine. Bamboo blinds have much more advantages than disadvantages, so it definitely is a great solution for your window treatment.
Bamboo blinds took all the best from other types of blinds — they combine the lightness of aluminium, the strength of plastic and the attractiveness of wood. These blinds are perfect for any interior and will add comfort to the room. They can be used both independently and as a pair for textile window decor. And most importantly, the price of bamboo blinds for windows is not too sky-high and is available to anyone who really cares about the atmosphere in their home, unless it is some expensive handmade bamboo blinds. But I do not think they are necessary to buy, you can be happy with the usual bamboo blinds from the shop.
Are Bamboo Blinds in Style?
Bamboo blinds are in style today because of the new trend towards all-natural. Bamboo blinds will keep the heat out in summer and will create an environmentally-friendly atmosphere at home. However, bamboo shades will not provide you with total privacy, so if you have windows in your bathroom, it is better to opt for a different type of window treatment.
Bamboo grows very quickly requiring almost no effort from people to look after it. That is why bamboo products are in style now — people buy all sorts of things — from bamboo blinds to bamboo sheets and even bamboo toothbrushes. In my opinion, bamboo products will continue growing in popularity as bamboo looks nice, it can decorate your house or your office, it is very durable and environmentally friendly, and, moreover, it has a reasonable price.
How to Shorten a Bamboo Shade Video Guide
How to Clean Bamboo Blinds
A lot of people have a question about whether you can wash bamboo blinds. Yes, you can wash bamboo blinds as bamboo is not afraid of dampness. However, sudden changes in humidity can lead to cracking of bamboo sticks so you need to be careful and follow the guide on how to clean your bamboo blinds.
In general, you can use a vacuum cleaner, a soft cotton cloth or a special dust brush for cleaning your bamboo blinds. Technically, you can wipe the blinds with a damp cloth, however, you must do it quickly as it can damage your blinds. The bamboo lamellas and the threads to which they are attached must not be washed in water. And you should forget about cleaning your bamboo blinds with chemicals as this will make the natural colour go away and cause the bamboo sticks to crack.
- NEVER put your bamboo blinds into water (no matter warm or cold) and NEVER add detergent as it will quickly ruin your blinds. All types of wood are deformed under the influence of water. It is one thing when the blinds are just wiped with a damp cloth to remove dust — it is totally fine but you must never soak your bamboo blinds in a foamy solution.
- Use a dry or slightly damp sponge to clean bamboo blinds, removing dust from the surface of the lamellas. Wipe dust off the bamboo blinds every 4-5 days.
- When the dust coating is removed, you can use a polish with an antistatic agent in the spray. The antistatic agent, which is part of the polish for furniture, protects the surface of wooden strips from dust settling.
- If you need to clean each lamella, you can purchase a special brush to clean the blinds. It consists of several plastic elements, the number of which varies from 2 to 6. This brush has two soft sponges covered with a fleecy fabric. It is quite convenient to brush window curtains, but you should moisten the brush so that it would not leave stains on the lamellas.
- When removing bamboo blinds from your windows, you need to be careful with the blinds mechanism and the bamboo.