In conditions of limited space in the house, people have to look for the best option for placing household appliances and furniture. Often, when planning, the owners have no choice but to put the stove next to the refrigerator. What is the threat of such a neighborhood? How dangerous is it to put these devices together? Let’s see if it is possible to put the stove next to the refrigerator.
Can you put a fridge next to an oven? You can put a fridge next to an oven, however, you should not. The heat from the stove forces the compressor to work in an intensive mode, as a result, energy consumption increases, the device wears out faster and breaks down earlier. Refrigerator models in which the refrigerant circuits pass precisely on the sides are especially affected by heat.
The oven is the most dangerous neighbor for the refrigerator, especially if it is gas. Ideally, a fridge and an oven should be placed as far apart as possible. There is a heat harm and the refrigerator is intensively soiled by splashes of fat during cooking. If the oven is put next to the refrigerator, then pans with handles and large pots will not fit on the hotplates next to it.
How Can You Minimize the Harm of the Fridge-Oven Neighborhood?
How far should a fridge be from an oven? The minimum distance between a fridge and an oven is 20 centimeters. At the same time, this figure may vary according to the recommendations of manufacturers, which have certain standards for each model. So, the manufacturer Bosch advises to install the stove at a distance of 30 centimeters, and Zanussi prescribes as much as 50 centimeters.
How close can a fridge be to an oven? It is most correct to learn the norms on how far a fridge should be from an oven from the instructions for a specific refrigerator model, since the recommendations of different manufacturers are slightly different.
But, as practice shows, in very small kitchens, it is difficult or even impossible to maintain the correct clearances. Therefore, many apartment owners place the stove and refrigerator close to each other. Here is a photo example of such kitchens.
What You Need to Do If You Put a Fridge Next to an Oven
- Glue heat-insulating material on the refrigerator wall, for example, Fomisol or Izolon PPE. This method is the simplest, most budgetary and at the same time effective. All you need to do is cut the material and glue it carefully (preferably, the material is self-adhesive).
An important nuance: the upper part of the refrigerator wall will continue to heat up a little, since heat tends to rise up. But this problem can be easily solved if you always use the hood.
- Use a powerful hood. It captures most of the convective flows from the stove and thereby significantly reduces the heating of the refrigerator.
- Build the refrigerator into the box. So the frame of the box will play the role of a barrier and take “heatstroke” on itself. In addition, it will protect the refrigerator body from splashes of grease and dirt. For the best result, it is still worth sticking a layer of thermal insulation on the refrigerator.
- Place a partition or screen between the refrigerator and the stove. This is so-called “oven next to fridge insulation”. The benefits of this method are still the same — protection from dirt and creating a barrier from heat.
What can you make a screen or partition from? Suitable panels are MDF, plywood, drywall, tempered glass (in combination with thermal insulation).
- Replace the full-size equipment and sink with smaller versions. This will allow you to win precious centimeters and put the refrigerator and stove not end-to-end.
- Replace your standard hob with a two-burner mini hob. So you will be able to increase the distance between the refrigerator and the stove to 15-25 centimeters. As practice shows, two burners for an average family of 4 are enough.
- Buy a narrow refrigerator (up to 55 cm wide). Even one or two centimeters will improve the situation.
- Choose a small sink. Yes, it is not very convenient, but it is quite useful, especially if you have a dishwasher. By the way, sometimes you can carve out a small distance between the stove and the refrigerator by transferring the sink.
- Finally, the refrigerator can be taken out into the hallway or adjoining living room.
Oven Next to Fridge Insulation
An insulation sheet is laid between the walls of household appliances. It will be able to protect the refrigerator from overheating and prevent its premature wear, but will not save it from grease drops.
How to fix the oven next to fridge insulation?
When installing an insulating sheet, do not forget about the aesthetic side of the issue. For example, the edge of a chipboard without cladding does not look very attractive: different-sized chips and a rough surface are immediately striking. Therefore, the end of the sheet must be covered with decorative foil, laminated or hidden with a suitable profile.
The best option is double-sided tape attached to the wall of the refrigerator, the adhesive layer of which will securely hold the insulation sheet. If necessary, it will be easy to remove without leaving marks. It is not worth attaching the sheet to the plate. When heated, the adhesive tape loses its adhesive properties and ceases to hold the insulation.
Materials that can be used for oven next to fridge insulation can be:
- Organic. These include chipboard slabs, foam sheets, reeds, cork sheets. Such materials are quite resistant to moisture, but their cost is quite high. In addition, they can deform when exposed to high temperatures.
- Inorganic. They are inexpensive, tolerate heating very well, but lose their properties under the influence of moisture. Inorganic materials include gypsum and asbestos board, mineral fiber.
The kitchen is considered a special place in the house. Not only its appearance, but also its convenience depends on its layout. Therefore, the correct placement of household appliances in the interior plays a huge role, in particular, this also applies to the location of the refrigerator.
In some cases, the lack of space forces many owners to put the refrigerator near the stove. In order to protect it from the negative consequences of high temperatures, you need to know the minimum distance of the location, and of course, it is recommended to additionally make a protective barrier in the form of a built-in cabinet.
The refrigerator is externally insulated, so its location next to the gas stove will not in any way affect the temperature regime inside, but when the surface of the device begins to heat up strongly, the unit will work in an enhanced mode. As a result, not only electricity consumption will increase, but also the load on the compressor itself, which in turn will significantly reduce the life of the device. To maintain a constant microclimate and uniform cooling of the refrigerator, it is necessary to ensure the maximum distance between the refrigerator and the gas stove. Otherwise, there will be compensation for the heating of the part of the device that stands near the stove. The second part of the refrigerator, which does not require refrigeration, will begin to freeze the ice. Such temperature changes are not in favor of stored food.
During the cooking process, fat residues will scatter onto its surface. Therefore, in such a “neighborhood” will have to wash the refrigerator several times a day. To avoid this, you need to place a separating object between the appliance and the gas stove: a table can be an excellent option. In addition, the kitchen table will make it much easier to take out and put away food.