Your bedroom is a place where you take a break from work and everyday life. Therefore, it should be filled with comfort and warmth. If the floor is cold, the feeling of comfort when getting out of bed instantly disappears. That is why rugs play a very important role when it comes to making your bedroom cosier and more relaxing.
Do I need a rug in my bedroom? You do need a rug in your bedroom because the rug will soundproof and provide the thermal insulation for your bedroom. A rug is also a decoration of a bedroom, that will create comfort, warmth, pleasant tactile sensations and noise absorption.
Before buying a rug for your bedroom, pay attention to the following characteristics:
- the decorative role, because the aesthetics of colours is important in the interior of the room;
- tactile indicators (how the rug feels and whether it is pleasant to the touch when getting out of bed);
- noise protection;
- hygienic characteristics (the likelihood of developing fungus on the rug should be minimal);
- fire resistance (an option when the carpet was processed in production with a fire-resistant substance);
- the complexity of care (modern carpets in the interior require a minimum of effort to care for them).
Where Do You Put a Rug in a Bedroom?
When deciding where to put a rug in a bedroom, you need to make sure that the edges of rug protrude 50-60 cm on three sides of the bed, except for the headboard as this will make the room seem larger and more spacious. For a classic interior bedroom, opt for the traditional layout. Here is a picture that will help you.
How To Choose The Right Rug For Your Bedroom
What Size Rug Do I Need For My Bedroom? Rug Size Guide
The size of the carpet depends on the area of the bedroom, in particular on the area of the bedside area. Don’t try to carpet the entire area around the bed. It is good if the bedside tables near the headboard are on the floor, at the edge of the carpet, and the carpet itself will cover at least 50 cm of the floor on each side and end of the bed.
The dresser and wardrobe in the bedroom are best placed on the floor, without carpet. If you have a dressing table in your bedroom, a wardrobe with a mirror, then it is better to zone this zone separately, with a small round rug, or do without it altogether. What size rug goes under a king-size bed? For a king-size bed, the minimum carpet size is 1.5m by 2.1m, but if possible, choose a 1.8m by 2.7m carpet.
One of the main functions of a carpet is space zoning. When choosing, you need to take into account the floor area, what kind of furniture will stand in a particular zone and the balance between all interior elements and zones.
Before heading to the store, map out a spot in the room for the carpet with masking tape and imagine how it will look in relation to your furniture.
As a rule, rugs are offered in standard sizes 1.2 by 1.8 m or 1.5 by 2.1 m, as well as in large size 1.8 by 2.7 m and extra-large size 2.4 by 3 m or 2.7 by 3.6 m. If it is difficult to decide which size to choose, always choose the larger one. A small rug is difficult to make look cosy over a large area.
What Type of Carpet Is Best for Bedroom?
The best carpet for a bedroom is a wool carpet that is soft, durable and has excellent soundproofing abilities. However, wool is pretty expensive. If this is a problem, choose polyester carpets for your bedroom as they are hypoallergenic, durable and soft. Nylon and polypropylene carpets should be avoided as they are not very soft and warm for a bedroom.
When choosing the carpet for your bedroom, do not forget that not only the shape and color should be ideal as the performance and quality characteristics are equally important. Natural carpets are soft to the touch, look luxurious. But keep in mind that they are susceptible to fading and abrasion, and can also be an ideal environment for dust mites.
Synthetic carpets are the most affordable option both in price and in a variety of colors. But although they are easy to clean, they will not be able to serve you a long service: they quickly lose their appearance and crumple.
Think about your lifestyle and how often you can clean. If you have children and pets in your home, choose the most practical ones. A small carpet made of artificial or mixed materials is the best option.
How to Choose a Carpet For a Bedroom By Material?
Material is the most important criterion for choosing a carpet in the bedroom. Usually, people choose the models from “natural” materials such as viscose, wool, silk for the bedroom. However, synthetic materials are so high-tech that a designer carpet from them will not yield to “natural” ones in comfort and beauty, and surpass in terms of service life.
Wool is a natural material of animal origin. The wool carpet has high moisture and sound absorption capacity. It is durable, fire-resistant, and lasts more than 10 years. Bit it accumulates an electric charge and is afraid of moths.
Silk is a strong but delicate thread. A product made of such threads looks aesthetically pleasing. The silk mat is soft, durable, elastic, pleasant to the skin, gives you coolness in the heat. As for the disadvantages, it wrinkles rather quickly, sheds and fades.
Cotton is pleasant to the touch, hygroscopic, anti-allergenic, stylish, easy to clean and affordable. Its disadvantage is the tendency to shrinkage and creasing.
Viscose combines the best properties of synthetics and natural fibres. Externally, the viscose coating resembles silk, it is distinguished by the stability of colour and pattern. Viscose carpet does not accumulate charge, it is inexpensive. But it absorbs moisture quickly.
Polyester is a popular inexpensive material that has a wool-like feel. It is not electrified, not afraid of the sun, mould, dirt. Polyester designer rug looks beautiful and keeps you warm.
Acrylic is a soft, lightweight carpet made from this material that retains its freshness for a long time. Does not fade, does not wrinkle. Cleans quickly. Minus – electrified.
Nylon is a wear-resistant artificial material that does not lose shape, retains brightness and texture for a long time, cleans and dries quickly, but is capable of hardening.
Polypropylene resembles natural fibres as much as possible. It retains the freshness of colour, original shape, a pile for a long time. Such a product almost does not get dirty and is safe for allergy sufferers, antistatic.
How Do You Place Furniture On Carpet in Bedroom?
The arrangement of carpets in the bedroom is calculated depending on a number of factors, the most important being the arrangement and size of the furniture.
- The carpet at the foot of the bed covers the free area of the floor in the centre of the room. The foot may or may not go into the carpet. This is an option for a spacious bedroom.
- The carpet under the legs can be placed along or across the bed. The main condition is a uniform exit from under the furniture on the sides. If the carpet is elegant, it will not be visible, choose another place. Due to the inaccessibility of the carpet, cleaning will be difficult.
- Bedside rugs on the sides are a good solution for a small room or room with inlaid floors (parquet, laminate).
- Carpets at the foot and bedside rugs on the sides. A convenient option that allows you to show the beauty of the coating, create comfort and ensure simple cleaning.
- The asymmetric arrangement of carpets creates a zest for the interior but requires careful thought.
Carpet in the Bedroom: The Bottom Line
- Usually wide models of carpets are used to create a bedroom interior in a classic style. Large square or rectangular carpets are used here to cover the floor throughout the room. Other styles use rugs of different sizes and shapes. At the same time, the high-tech style does not recognize any carpets at all.
- When choosing a carpet, pay attention to the length of the pile. The bedroom is not a place where guests and visitors spend time. This allows yourself to create a real soft nest by covering the floor with a long pile carpet. Soft and gentle, it will give pleasure to tired legs in the evening and vigor, a charge of mood in the morning sleepy hours of awakening. And don’t let it scare you with dust: the vacuum cleaner can handle any type of dirt. In addition, you can buy lint-free carpets.
- Before choosing a carpet for the bedroom, pay attention to the number of window openings in the room and their size. The sunny side of the building and large windows require both wallpaper and carpet in cool tones. The cold side and the small number of windows prevent the sun from illuminating the room at any time of the day. This can lead to depressed mood and depression if you do not make the right color choices. Choose from yellow, peach, orange, and other warm colors of textile rugs.
- If the interior in the room has straight or sharp corners and well-defined lines, it is best to spread oval and round rugs on the floor. If the interior is too streamlined, then you can add rigor with a rectangular carpet with a geometric pattern.
- For those who are ready to make bold and quick decisions, it is worth paying attention to the models of round carpets and classic carpets made of natural materials. Images of plants and animals in the interior will maintain the spirit and strength, activity and determination of the master of the bedroom.
- If the room in which you want to place the carpet is small, you can visually expand it. For this effect, it is worth buying a brightly painted rug, while placing it diagonally.
- If you need to insulate the floor in a large room, it is most appropriate to buy a carpet with a large pattern that will conceal the surrounding space. This approach to the interior will make the room more comfortable.
- If there is also a corner for work or play with a child in the bedroom, you can highlight it with a rug that will contrast with the surrounding environment.
- Good and expensive furniture does not require any additional decorations. The carpet in the bedroom on the floor with bright patterns makes it cheaper. In this regard, it is necessary to buy monochromatic models of carpets in order to emphasize the aristocracy and quality of the existing furniture. Alternatively, a combination of a soft carpet and a sparkling floor to complement each other
Large carpets create the general background of the room, and small carpets highlight separate areas. At the same time, the bright large pattern of the carpet attracts the eye and belittles all the details of the interior, therefore, it is not suitable for the bedroom. But rugs of different colors and colors will be harmonious, as well as a cozy addition to the interior.