After some time using the Bosch dishwasher, some users complain about the appearance of an unpleasant odor inside. In fact, the appearance of such a smell in most cases is associated with a lack of proper care, but there are also situations when the smell is caused by some kind of malfunction.
Why does my Bosch dishwasher stink so badly? Your Bosch dishwasher might stink either because of the food residue stuck in a mesh filter and drain hose or because of the water that does not dry after the washing. If you do not remove food before washing, it will not dissolve and lead to a bad smell. The smell can also appear if you keep the door closed tightly or if the drain hose is not properly connected to the dishwashing machine.
The main reason for the appearance of an unpleasant odor in a Bosch dishwasher is regular washing of dishes at low temperatures (30-40 degrees) while fatty, protein, and starch contamination may not be completely washed out from filters, hoses, and other elements of the dishwasher.
7 Reasons for Bad Smell in Your Bosch Dishwasher
Before removing the smell in the dishwasher, you should understand its cause:
- The smell of plastic, when you turn on the dishwasher for the first time, is absolutely normal. It can be easily eliminated with a dry test run and special salt.
- Turning on the dishwasher at night and removing clean dishes from it in the morning seems like a good idea. However, at the end of the dishwashing cycle, drops of condensate remain on the walls because they create favorable conditions for the growth of bacteria and, accordingly, the appearance of unpleasant odors.
- The filter should be checked after each dishwashing. It may contain food particles and other contaminants. If you do not remove them in time, food fragments risk disappearing, filling the chamber with a pungent smell.
- Examine the dishwasher for food residue and grease. They can be found not only on the walls but also in hard-to-reach places: behind the rubber door gasket, at the pallet attachment points.
- Sometimes water remains at the bottom of the dishwasher. If you do not wipe it off in time, a rotten smell occurs. In this case, you will need to start the self-cleaning mode or run the machine dry at a high temperature.
- One of the more unpleasant causes of odor is a clogged drain hose. When washing in low-temperature modes (30-40 ° C), fat accumulates on the walls, which attracts small impurities to itself. Also, the reason may be an incorrect installation of the drain. In this case, the hose must be disconnected from the dishwasher, rinsed thoroughly, and reconnected according to all the rules.
- The smell of burning plastic is a serious concern. It may indicate a malfunction in the electrical wiring or the contacts of the heating element. In the event of a breakdown, it is not recommended to turn on the dishwasher until the arrival of the specialist.
How Do I Get Rid of the Smell In My Bosch Dishwasher?
To get rid of the smell in your Bosch dishwasher, do the following:
- Rinse the mesh filter located at the bottom of the chamber.
- Rinse the water sprinklers, paying attention to holes where food can get stuck.
- Wash the walls and bottom of the washing chamber. Take a soft cloth and water with the addition of a small amount of detergent.
- Wash the sealing gum around the perimeter of the door.
- Do not use metal sponges or hard brushes to clean the dishwasher. They can damage the surface of the washing chamber.
Remember that there are some things you can never use to get the smell out of any dishwasher, including Bosch.
- Chlorine and chlorine-containing products;
- Washing powder;
- Cleaning agents with abrasive particles.
Even though these chemicals might eliminate the smell, but they will also damage the dishwasher. They will harm the metal parts which will soon start to corrode.
How Do You Deodorize a Bosch Dishwasher?
Use vinegar and baking soda to deodorize a Bosch dishwasher. Take one cup of white vinegar and place it on the bottom of the chamber of an empty dishwasher. Start a long cycle at a high temperature. Vinegar is excellent at absorbing odors, but it leaves a smell on its own. Therefore, you can use soda after the vinegar. Take half a glass of baking soda and put it on the bottom of the dishwasher, start a short cycle.
If you don’t trust the home methods, then get a special dishwasher grease and limescale remover. Just put the odor remover in the dishwasher and turn on a short or long cycle. After that, rinse the dishwasher chamber with water and wipe it with a dry cloth and ventilate the chamber.
Dishwasher fragrance fights well with unpleasant odors, but it should be used only after the cause of the smell has been eliminated, otherwise, there will be no effect.
If, after the cleaning, the smell still appears, then you will have to clean the drain hose. This is not a very fun activity, but it has to be done. Disconnect the hose, rinse it under running water and reconnect it. Here I also recommend checking the siphon and drain and, if necessary, rinse them.
Does your Bosch dishwasher smell like sewage? The smell of sewage can be a consequence of stagnant water in hoses, nozzles, and other places of the dishwasher. If the process has gone too far, then it will be extremely difficult for you to completely get rid of the smell. It is necessary to wash without dishes at a high temperature once a month, and also to clean the heating element from limescale.
If you can smell the stench of the sewer from the dishwasher, but the reasons may actually be different: either water from the sewer itself really gets into the drain hose, or the water stinks in the hoses or other bottlenecks of the dishwasher.
The dishwasher must be properly connected to prevent odors from leaking from the drain. If the drain hose is installed incorrectly, no amount of flushing will help you – you need to correct the connection errors.
If your bosch dishwasher smells like a wet dog, this is a consequence of stagnant water in the dishwasher, which for some reason has not completely drained from there. And if you have not yet dried your machine after washing, you are guaranteed to get a damp smell inside. If the machine has not been used for a long time, it will also not smell very pleasant: in this case, you just need to start the cycle without dishes. You can also add vinegar.
Why does my Bosch dishwasher smell like plastic? Occasionally, the dishwasher can smell like glue or melted plastic. The reason for this is non-observance of the operating rules, that is, the user puts a plastic product or a product with glued parts to be washed in the dishwasher and chose a mode at high temperature. As a result, the plastic began to emit a smell.
How to eliminate plastic odor in a new dishwasher? New dishwashers often smell like plastic. You can get rid of the smell in one session. Study the instructions for the appliance, select the cycle with the maximum temperature, and run the machine without dishes.
In regions with hard water, special dishwasher salt should be used. It refreshes the smell inside the device, and at the same time prevents calcium and magnesium hydrocarbonates from being deposited. To avoid salt lumps, at the first start, water is first poured into the compartment, only then salt is added. No water needs to be added on subsequent loads. Make sure that no pieces of salt are left on the bottom of the dishwasher as it leaves a residue on the plates.
How Do I Stop My Bosch Dishwasher From Smelling?
You have to follow some simple rules to stop your Bosch dishwasher from smelling.
- Before washing the dishes, you must thoroughly clean them from food residue.
- Wipe the dishwashing machine after washing with a dry cloth, inspect for grease, stuck food pieces, let it dry well. Moisture is a source of bacteria and, accordingly, unpleasant odors.
- Regularly clean the dishwashing machine from grease and scale with special products.
- Do not forget to rinse the mesh filter, even if you are very good at cleaning the plates before eating.
- Do not keep dirty dishes in a closed dishwashing machine for a long time. If there is no time to wash them, then at least use the rinse function and dishwasher fragrance, it will absorb odors.
- Leave the door open after the end of the wash. Wipe the seals with a dry cloth.
- Do a complete descaling and cleaning of the machine twice a year.
- Clean the filter regularly in the dishwasher.