If you want to know how to clean a grease buildup on waffle irons, you must love waffles for breakfast. Unfortunately, waffle makers require cleaning. Of course, it is easier to just wipe it after each use, but if have skipped this step, here is a step-by-step guide on how to clean a waffle maker in less than 10 minutes:
There are waffle makers with non-removable and removable plates. We have prepared the easiest guide for both!
How to Clean a Waffle Maker with Non-Removable Plates
- Unplug the waffle iron and let it cool for a minute.
- Wipe off the excess oil with a paper towel. If you have a non-stick iron or are on a diet, it is better not to use oil at all.
- Sweep off waffle crumbs off with a kitchen brush or a tissue. But keep in mind, it is crucial that you use a soft brush so that you wouldn’t damage your waffle iron’s coating.
- Put a wet wipe on your waffle maker to let the dried pieces soak. The wet cloth should be warm, so moisten it under hot water. Make sure your wipe is wet enough but does not drip. Leave it for 2-3 minutes.
- Use the rubber spatula to remove everything that is left on your waffle iron’s surface. Rubber spatulas will help you to clean your waffle maker without leaving scratches on its surface. You can also use a wet, non-abrasive sponge instead of a spatula.
- Wipe the surface with a wet cloth again to finish the cleaning.
- Your waffle iron is ready to cook you the best waffles again. Enjoy!
How to Clean a Waffle Iron with Removable Plates
- Unplug the waffle iron and let it cool for a minute.
- Remove the plates.
- Immerse the plates into warm water. You could use a sink or any container that is big enough to fit your waffle iron’s plates. Do not use non-natural soap as this can damage a non-stick surface.
- Gently clean the plates with a sponge or brush. Use a sponge that is made specifically for non-stick surfaces or a kitchen brush with soft bristles to prevent scratching the plates.
- Wash the plates under a stream of warm water. Hold the plates upright so that water passes between the rows of the plate and rinses away all crumbs. A dishwasher can damage the non-stick surface of the waffle iron, so you can’t use a dishwasher to clean your waffle maker’s plates.
- Let the plates dry – you can put them on the dryer or on a kitchen towel or just wipe them with a dry cloth or paper towel.
- Put the plates in the waffle maker again. And enjoy your crispy waffles!
How to Keep Your Kitchen and Appliances Clean: How to Clean Sticky Sugar From a Waffle Maker
One of the many things that can build up on a waffle maker is a sticky residue of sugar. Clean sticky sugar from a waffle maker with help from a cleaning expert and national lecturer in this video.
How to Clean a Greasy Waffle Maker without Household Chemicals
If your waffle iron is very dirty here are some useful tips for cleaning it without using special household chemicals:
- Baking soda – it will easily clean any waffle iron’s surface.
- Vinegar or lemon acid will bleach old stains on the surface and eliminate all unpleasant odours.
- The dry mustard powder will get rid of grease and odour.
- Natural soap will eliminate the smell and fight grease.
With all the above-mentioned products you need to pour water into a container that is big enough to fit a waffle maker and add either of these products (baking soda, vinegar, lemon acid, dry mustard powder, natural soap). Make sure water completely covers all the waffle iron’s parts and the water is warm enough (not hot). Wait for 10-30 minutes (time depends on your waffle iron’s condition). And enjoy waffles after!
Tips for Waffle Iron Care
It is much easier to just give proper care to your waffle maker so here is a step-by-step guide on how to always keep your waffle iron clean and running:
- The most important thing to remember is that you must use proper waffle iron friendly tools. We advise you to buy only silicone tools that are soft and will not leave a single scratch on the surface. Never use sharp metal objects with your waffle iron.
- Avoid adding oil if your waffle iron has a non-stick surface. Not only will it give multiple benefits for your device, but it will also keep you fit and healthy.
- Do not use chemicals when cleaning your waffle iron. Use natural substances (baking soda, vinegar, lemon acid, dry mustard powder, natural soap) or just a wet cloth if the surface is not that greasy.
- Do not forget to clean the device after each use. It is much easier and quicker to clean your waffle maker right after you cooked your breakfast.
- Do not put the waffle iron back in the box without making sure it is completely dry.
- Be sure to read the manufacturer’s recommendations regarding cleaning waffle irons and their maintenance and safety. The main thing is not to clean the waffle iron while it is connected to the power supply and has not had time to cool down, or you may burn your hands.
- If the waffle iron has a non-stick coating, then before first use it must be covered with vegetable oil and heated. You should not cook waffles during the first heating of the waffle iron.
- Never immerse the waffle iron fully in water. A waffle iron is an electrical appliance. Do not immerse it in water and always remove removable parts.
- You can use an old toothbrush to remove crumbs if you do not have a kitchen brush.
- Never use a spray bottle with vegetable oil; instead, use a pastry brush to lightly “paint” the wafer plates with oil.
- Non-stick waffle iron should not require oil. However, if the dough sticks, try adding some butter to the dough itself.
Hopefully, after this step-by-step waffle iron cleaning guide, you will never ask yourself a question whether a waffle maker is worth it. It so is! Anyway, who does not want to enjoy fresh homemade crispy waffles for breakfast?