Air humidifiers have become very popular lately and it is not surprising. The heating season that lasts for up to six months can make your skin dry, your hair thin and your breathing difficult. Indoor air is the key to your health. Today people are paying more and more attention to their health. That is why one of the latest trends in air aromatization is aromatherapy sessions that can be carried out at home.
Is it OK to put essential oils in a humidifier? It is OK to put essential oils in a humidifier and an ultrasonic humidifier with aromatherapy function which is ideal for this purpose. If the humidifier does not have a fragrance function, you cannot put essential oils in it. This can lead not only to equipment breakdown but also harm your own well-being.
Today, many manufacturers offer for sale models with the functionality of room fragrance. Use ultrasonic aroma diffusers specially designed for humidifying and aromatizing the air.
The principle of operation of such devices is simple. In the structure, a special capsule or container is installed in front of the atomizer to accommodate aromatic substances. When water evaporates from temperature or ultrasound, the evaporation of essential oils also occurs.
Thus, the space of the room is not only humidified, it is saturated with aromatic elements and phytoncides. In “cold” appliances, you can add water with soluble oils. But not all devices provide the ability to scent the room with oils.
Keep in mind that a mist humidifier does not provide for using essential oils or other fragrances, so you should not put essential oils in them.
The construction of a traditional air humidifier is built using a filter. It is necessary for water purification because this type of humidifier is sensitive to its quality. If the water is of poor quality, the humidifier may break down or white deposits may settle on the furniture.
What if my humidifier does not have a compartment for a fragrance capsule or essential oil container? Any device must be used strictly for its intended purpose, therefore, if the instructions do not indicate the presence of the aromatization function, you should not add aroma oils to the container with water as it will only harm your health and the serviceability of the device.
The practice of adding water-soluble oils to the main water tank of steam and ultrasonic devices has a positive effect when spraying aromas throughout the room, but negatively affects the performance of the humidifier, shortening its effective operation.
Oils seriously contaminate the main working units (membrane, filters), which over time makes it impossible for them to work effectively. It is practically impossible to remove oil deposits without disassembling the device.
When using a humidifier with essential oils, the device should be cleaned after each use. This requirement is due to the fact that the particles of aromatic oils remaining in the parts create a favourable atmosphere for the development of bacteria and microorganisms. Without thorough cleaning and rinsing, all bacteria will enter the air of the room when first turned on next time.
What Happens If You Put Essential Oils in a Humidifier?
Let’s go back to using essential oils. What happens if you put essential oils in a humidifier? If you put natural essential oil to a traditional air humidifier, over time the oil will settle into the reservoir and clog filters and membranes which are not cleanable and expensive to replace. As a result, this will lead to a deterioration in the quality of work, a limitation in the life of the product and even to a breakdown of the humidifier. Thus, in a traditional air humidifier, only specialized air humidifier oil, water-soluble fragrances, which are usually chemical-based, can be added.
Can I Use a Humidifier Instead of an Essential Oil Diffuser?
What Essential Oils Can I Use in a Humidifier?
There are no strict rules when it comes to answering a question “What essential oils can you use in a humidifier”, as it all depends on your preference and the desired result. Lavender essential oil is known to help relieve stress and make sleep more deep and restful. At the same time, citrus essential oils (lemon, orange, grapefruit), on the contrary, will energize you for the whole day.
When choosing aroma oils, you should also be guided by the characteristics of the room. For example, you store shoes and outerwear in the hallway. To prevent viral diseases in this part of the apartment, it is best to use essential oils of lemon, cedar, thyme, bergamot, pine.
For a living room where the whole family gathers, essential oils of tea tree, sage, geranium, cinnamon are suitable.
The choice of oils and the range of their useful properties is diverse, the decision is yours.
Anyway, what essential oils can I use in a humidifier? The most popular essential oils for a humidifier are:
- For extra vivacity and energy, it is recommended to choose the scent of orange. The composition is also used to relieve anxiety or insomnia. Positive effects on the stomach, intestines and heart muscle have also been noted.
- If a person suffers from spasmodic attacks, then it is advised to use the aroma of basil. It helps to forget about the headache within a short period of time.
- A humidifier with bergamot flavour is used to eliminate fungal infections of the walls in the room. Smell has a positive effect on brain function. It is guaranteed to appeal to creative people. Bergamot is used in folk medicine to quickly reduce body temperature.
- Eucalyptus essential oils can help fight infection. They create a barrier for germs that cannot enter the body. How many drops of eucalyptus oil do I put in a humidifier? Add 2-5 drops of eucalyptus oil, plug in the humidifier and set the required fan speed.
- The tea tree has a similar effect. It can also help you get rid of annoying insects.
- Lemon essential oil prevents viruses from growing. With its help, you can also completely forget about the headache, which gives a person a lot of discomforts.
- It is advisable to use lavender oil to combat depression. It is suitable even for emotionally unstable patients who feel emotionally empty. Lavender oil eliminates chronic insomnia, soothes, relieves anxiety and sets you in a positive mood. Useful for people who are obese or dieters. The bitter aroma reduces hunger and improves digestion.
- Peppermint oil helps to concentrate, invigorates, restores and relieves nausea. Useful for people experiencing constant overload as it improves the atmosphere and reduces virus activity.
- Cinnamon oil provides a calming atmosphere, soothes, dampens conflicts and prevents skin diseases.
- Sandalwood oil promotes complete relaxation and the development of sensuality. Helps to fall asleep and is useful for constant nervous overload.
- Chamomile aroma air humidifier prevents the development of problems with the digestive system. It helps the person to relax and overcome stress or difficult life situations.
- Clove is used in folk medicine to combat wet coughs. The smell penetrates the lungs and helps to remove phlegm quickly and efficiently.
- Camphor essential oils for humidifiers should be in rooms with critically ill patients. They kill all kinds of harmful viruses and bacteria. The necessary anaesthetic effect is additionally produced.
- Juniper essential oil fights most viral diseases. With its help, it is also possible to normalize the pressure and functioning of other internal organs.
- Scenting the air with pine and peppermint helps prevent any viral disease from getting worse. However, you should use it regularly.
- To cope with an exacerbation of a cold, you can use sage essential oil. Such aromatic oils accelerate the process of blood movement. Additionally, it is possible to carry out the necessary stimulation of the vocal cords.
- Yarrow can be added to a humidifier for germ control purposes. The substance negatively affects their vital functions.
By using fragrances for the air, you can not only use a specific scent but also combine scents to create incredible healing effects. You can combine them yourself, using the instructions on the packaging, or you can use ready-made recipes that have already been tested for effectiveness:
- The combination of pine, chamomile extract and petitgrain will help cope with insomnia. If you can’t sleep or wake up often at night, this recipe is for you.
- If you need to remember a lot of information, then a mixture of pine, incense, spruce and orange is for you. This aroma stimulates blood circulation and, as a result, increases brain efficiency.
- If you are often tired at work, you have a depressed emotional state, and you are constantly stressed, then a mixture of sandalwood, ylang-ylang and lavender will get you in order.
- A blend of pine, ginger, fir and peppermint scents will help you maintain a good mood and a positive outlook. In order to relax and not think about problems and piled up worries, it is good to use a combination of sandalwood, lavender, petitgrain and marjoram oils.
Use a pipette to accurately dose the proportion. Store oil mixtures in dark glass vials with tight stoppers.
The most successful compositions of essential oils for a humidifier:
- lemon + orange + mint;
- pine + rosemary + sandalwood;
- lavender + rose + petitgrain;
- ylang + sandalwood + grapefruit.
Aromatic oils for a humidifier create a relaxing, burgundy or romantic atmosphere of cosiness and comfort in the home. Aromatherapy works on mood and well-being, transforming the house into a fortress for relaxation for body and soul.
How much essential oil do you put in a humidifier? It is necessary to add essential oil to the humidifier, directly to the water tank and it is recommended to use about 5 drops of essential oil for every 15m2.
Is Adding Essential Oils in a Humidifier Good?
Not only do essential oils create a cosy atmosphere but they also have a positive effect on some organs and the human system. Experts in this field highlight the following benefits of regular use of essential oils:
- Ether helps to quickly and effectively eliminate respiratory diseases.
- The person feels calm and peaceful.
- Essential oils help to strengthen the heart muscle and to relieve additional stress from it.
- Regular use visibly strengthens hair and nails. This will appeal to every woman.
- When using the correct concentration of ether, a person’s brain begins to work better.
- Aroma humidifiers can even be installed in the office. In this case, employees will not feel very tired at the end of the working day.
- The air freshener helps to strengthen the immune system. The body begins to function in the correct manner. Humidifier oil contains phytocins. They are essential for the immune system. Substances penetrate into the body through the respiratory system. This is the fastest way to distribute them.
However, you must be careful with putting essential oils in a humidifier. It is recommended that you familiarize yourself with the following requirements in detail:
- Do not increase the dose of ether. Excessive air saturation with a scent component can lead to negative effects.
- The packaging always contains information about the composition of the substance. It should be read before using.
- Do not use the scent for the humidifier if you plan to select a long mode. The smell quickly spreads around the room and lasts throughout the day.
- Certain odours can lead to an allergic reaction.
- In the presence of chronic diseases of the bronchus from a family member, it is not recommended to buy too saturated aromas. Find out in detail what is possible with an illness, it is best of all from the attending physician.
- During the period of gestation or breastfeeding, it is best to refuse the aroma component. They can exacerbate an allergic reaction in an infant.
- Humidifier fragrances are not used in a room where there is someone with thyroid disease.
Ether can have positive or negative effects on the body. When choosing a specific option, it is recommended to analyze the presence of intolerance or predisposition to it of each of the family members. An incorrectly selected aroma can greatly aggravate an already existing clinical picture.