Satin is a durable, wear-resistant, and beautiful material. It is used to sew bedding sets with high technical performance. Thanks to the special technique of weaving cotton threads, satin resembles satin and silk. However, satin is much more pleasant to the body and warms well in the cold season. Do you want to buy a new set of bedding, but you are not sure whether satin is good for bedding? I will tell you about all the pros and cons of this material to help you make a decision.
What are satin sheets made out of? The satin weave method can be used to weave fabrics from raw materials of various nature, that is why the satin sheets can be made out of:
- Only natural cotton;
- Cotton and polymer fibers;
- Cotton and viscose;
- Silk and cotton threads;
- Crepe satin is made by combining cotton threads with natural and artificial silk threads.
Satin sheets are made out of two types of high-quality cotton thread — thin twisted, and dense. Thanks to this structure, satin feels very smooth like silk, but at the same time, it has all the qualities of cotton — satin is easy to care for, non-allergenic, strong, and durable, and it has good air permeability.
What Are the Benefits of Satin Sheets?
The benefits of satin sheets include eco-friendliness, durability, and softness. Satin bed sheets are hygroscopic and breathable. They absorb excess moisture from the body, enhancing comfort. Satin bedsheets have low thermal conductivity, warming you up in winter and creating a feeling of coolness in summer. Satin bed sheets are easy to care for, you do not need to iron them as they do not crease.
These are the main benefits of the satin bedding, now let’s dive into them.
Satin Bedding Pros:
- High-quality satin bedding is extraordinarily soft and smooth. It is made from pure cotton. What satin feels like? It is silky, pleasant to the touch, lightweight, somewhat reminiscent of silk, but much cheaper than it.
- Sateen fabric made of natural fibers is environmentally friendly and therefore does not cause allergic reactions.
- Satin is hygroscopic and breathable. It absorbs and evaporates excess moisture from the body, enhancing comfort. It has low thermal conductivity: it warms up in winter and creates a feeling of coolness in summer.
- The satin bedding is durable and can withstand 200-300 washing cycles. So, satin does not fade with time.
- Satin does not wrinkle. The material perfectly keeps its shape and does not require careful ironing.
- Sating looks expensive. Satin has a noble luster of the front side and in terms of external characteristics, it is not inferior to silk.
- Satin does not slip from bed when you are asleep. The roughness of the seamy side does not let satin slip from your bed, unlike silk.
- Are satin sheets cold? No, satin sheets are not cold at all. Sating warms well in the winter season. This creates a feeling of additional warmth, which makes sleep calmer and of high quality.
- Satin is made from natural raw materials — cotton, the products are entirely safe for human health and the environment, absorb moisture well, allow the body to “breathe” during rest, and is not electrified.
What Are the Disadvantages of Satin Bedding?
- Are satin sheets expensive? Satin bedding is a bit pricey. Usually, a set of satin bedding costs between 40-70$. However, sating bedding is durable. If you buy it, you buy it for years to come. Satin bedding is definitely a good investment.
- Satin bedding can fade if dried in the direct sun.
- Satin bedding is considered to be better for winter than for summer. Does satin make you sweat? Some people complain that satin makes them sweat. Satin keeps warm well, so it is very comfortable to sleep on satin bedding in winter. However, in summer, satin is not suitable for everyone — some complain that it is hot to sleep on it. Silk in the heat is undoubtedly nicer.
- If the satin is very smooth, it can be uncomfortable to lie on it in silk pajamas because of its slipperiness.
Satin is hot and slippery — these are all the disadvantages of this type of bedding, and the disadvantages are conditional and not relevant for everyone because not everyone sleeps in silk pajamas or suffers from the heat due to the lack of an air conditioner. Otherwise, satin is almost ideal as a material for bedding.
How Do I Choose Satin Sheets?
When you choose satin bedding, read its composition on the label. A mercerizing indication is a good sign. Such satin bed linen will retain its noble shine for a long time. Satin bedding should only be 100% cotton. Pay attention to the density of the fabric, the higher this indicator, the more durable the bedding will be. The density should not be less than 200 threads per centimeter (or g/m2).
- Before making a purchase, be sure to read the information that the manufacturer indicated on the label. It is important that the bedding is 100% cotton.
- The density of the fabric is measured in cubic centimeters and should not be less than 120 threads. The higher the density, the thicker the bedding, the longer its service life. What is the best thread count for satin sheets? The best thread count for satin bedding is 400. In this case, the bedding will be soft and smooth, and thick enough to last long and withstand all the washing.
- You can independently determine the quality of the satin fabric using daylight. You should not see the outlines of objects through the material. Otherwise, this indicates an insufficiently high-density level. Even daylight will hardly break through the dense and high-quality satin.
- Touch the bedding. The fabric should be smooth and uniform. Mercerized material will last you longer, which means that the price of the bedding will be higher. The manufacturer must indicate this on the label. The smoother its surface, the longer the bed will retain its silky appearance. If the front side of the satin is initially a little rough, it is quite possible that the bedding will quickly lose its gloss.
Satin bedding should not emit a strong unpleasant odor. The presence of a chemical odor indicates the use of harmful dyes.
- Choosing the color of the sating bedding. First of all, you need to consider the color and design of the bedroom, bed, and other interior items. A harmonious combination of all colors is the most important condition when purchasing certain bedding sets. Also, consider your own temperament. If you prefer a relaxing break after a hard day at work, linen in pastel and natural shades is perfect here. But for a romantic meeting, you will need more saturated colors.
- Do not remain indifferent to the choice of pattern. Remember that different shapes and sizes of images can affect a person’s mental state in different ways. As practice shows, small elements of the picture are preferred by calm and balanced people for good rest. As for the large elements, they are inherent for active and self-confident people.
With a competent approach to the choice of satin bedding, it will serve the owners for more than one year, pleasing with aesthetics, ease of use, and operation. Sleeping on such a bed will be pleasant, comfortable, and strong. Manufacturers provide products in such a wide range that buyers can easily pick up underwear of any design, size, and color scheme.
Conclusions and Recommendations
- When buying satin bedding, you need to pay attention to the density, if it is not indicated, you can look through the fabric into the light.
- Some manufacturers allow the use of synthetic raw materials in the manufacture of satin, bed linen made from such fabric will lose some of its properties, will be inferior to natural, so you need to study the information on the package in detail.
- The quality and type of seams — satin linen sets should be sewn with a linen seam, which will ensure reliability, exclude tears during washing and use.
- A high degree of gloss on the front side is a good sign, the fabric has undergone additional processing, it will last longer while maintaining an excellent appearance and quality characteristics.
- High-quality new satin is very smooth. It’s easy to check if you hold the fabric in your hand. If you feel light roughness, do not expect a long service life and preservation of the external properties of the laundry.
How Can You Tell If the Fabric Is Satin?
To determine real satin, you need to do the following:
- Pay attention to the weight of the package. Synthetic bed linen weighs 1.5-2 times lighter than natural cotton linen.
- Synthetic fabric is electrified and electrocuted. It is enough to rub the fabric and look at the reaction. Cotton has no property of electrifying.
- Crumple up the fabric and look. If the fabric is not crumpled or quickly crumpled, but quickly regained its shape, then this is synthetics. Natural fabric will crumple due to the properties of cotton fibers.
- Pay attention to the sheen of the fabric. Synthetics shine and often seem more beautiful than natural fabric. Satin and silk have a shine, so this is not an accurate method for determining natural satin.
- Remove the thread and light it. The synthetic thread will melt and the smoke will be black. This method is accurate, but it can only be applied after purchase.
- See how quickly the laundry dries after washing. The synthetic fabric dries very quickly and is often almost dry after spinning. Natural satin dries for a long time.
Are Satin Sheets Worth It?
Satin sheets are definitely worth it. Sating bedding does not crease, so your bed will always look neat and tidy. Sating bedding always retains heat well but also allows air to pass through, and your skin to breathe. Satin is soft, smooth, and durable, it will last for years. Satin is hygroscopic and eco-friendly. All of this makes satin perfect bedding for you.
Satin bed linen is very durable, it can withstand more than 250 washings, while its quality does not change, the bedding remains soft, delicate, with the same dimensions.
In the production of satin bedding, natural materials are used: 100% cotton, and high-quality dyes, thanks to which the bedding does not fade, it is suitable for allergy sufferers, does not electrify. Satin bed linen has a noble silk shine, while the price is much cheaper than real silk. You get high quality and luxury look at the “mass market” price.
The front side of satin bedding has a noble glossy shine, while the backside remains slightly rough and matte. This feature is a huge plus of satin, because bedding, unlike silk, will not slide on the mattress.
Silk or Satin Pillowcase?
Satin Bedding Care
Satin bedding can last for many years without losing its external qualities and strength. The main condition for this is the observance of the rules for caring for things made of satin fabrics:
- Wash satin linen only inside out.
- The optimum water temperature for washing should be no higher than 40 ° C.
- Do not wash colored satin products using detergents that contain bleaching ingredients.
- Use the products recommended for satin fabrics to remove stains. It is necessary to handle the dirt before putting the laundry in the washing machine for washing.
- It is not recommended to wash satin bed linen with other fabrics. This can prematurely strip it of its shine and softness.
- It is better to iron slightly damp laundry from the wrong side.