To get a good healthy sleep you need to have clean and ironed bedding. That is why it is crucial to know how to properly care for your bamboo bedding so that it would last even longer. How to wash bamboo sheets for the first time? Do bamboo sheets need ironing? Today I am going to answer these and other questions about bamboo bedding.
Should you wash bamboo sheets before using? You do need to wash bamboo sheets before first use. Bamboo sheets must be washed separately from other things, at a temperature not exceeding + 30°C in the delicate wash mode and without adding bleaches or conditioners. It is advisable to dry bamboo linen in the open air, and iron it with very low iron heating (up to + 150 ° C).
Compliance with these rules will allow you to preserve the saturation of the colours and structure of the fabric so that the bamboo bedding will delight you for many years to come.
Now since every fabric has its peculiarities, let’s jump into bamboo bedding care and maintenance guide.
How Do You Wash New Bamboo Sheets?
- Turn bamboo bedding inside out before washing.
- Hand washing in non-hot water is preferable, but washing in a machine is also acceptable — in this case, the water temperature should not exceed 30 degrees, the washing mode should be delicate.
- Detergents for washing bamboo linen should contain a minimum amount of dye components.
- Bamboo bedding should not be dried in the dryer. Washed laundry should not lie in one pile for a long time: it must be hung up immediately, ideally, it is better to spread the laundry on a horizontal surface.
- When drying, the laundry should not be exposed to direct sunlight.
Bamboo fibre has an excellent ability to absorb moisture, but it also accumulates odours. Therefore, bed linen should be washed regularly and correctly. Before you start washing, you must carefully read the care instructions on the packaging.
A high-quality bamboo bedding will certainly contain all the important information that will help you figure out how to take care of your laundry. Bamboo bedding needs a delicate hand wash, preferably in cool water. But modern washing machines have a gentle mode function and the possibility of a minimum spin or turn off the final option of the process cycle. Modern bamboo sets are perfectly washed at a temperature of 30 degrees C and spin in a drum at 400 rpm.
Can bamboo sheets be washed in hot water? Bamboo bedding requires special care that is why it must not be washed in hot water. Bamboo sheets should be washed at a temperature not exceeding + 30 ° C in the delicate wash mode and without adding bleaches or conditioners.
It is advisable to dry bamboo linen in the open air, and iron it with very low iron heating (up to + 150 ° C). Compliance with these rules will allow you to preserve the saturation of the colours and structure of the fabric, thanks to which the product will delight you for more than one year.
How to Handwash Bamboo Sheets?
If you want to handwash bamboo sheets, the rules are the same as for machine washing. Fill the bathroom with water (temperature up to 40 degrees), dilute the detergent in it. Put the blanket there, let it soak for a while (no more than an hour).
It is undesirable to rub and wrinkle the blanket too much, as the fibre loses its shape. The original form is returned with difficulty on its own, and ironing the product, as we have already written, is impossible. Rinse the bedding well. Do not twist, let the water drain.
How Do You Dry Bamboo Sheets?
In order to dry bamboo sheets, spread the bamboo bedding out in the yard horizontally, away from the scorching sun. You can install a clothes dryer in the shade and spread it on it. It is undesirable to hang the product on a rope since the fibre is deformed and loses its shape. Be sure to provide adequate air circulation. To do this, periodically turn it over, changing its position. Make sure that the bamboo blanket does not dry out.
Do Bamboo Sheets Need Ironing?
Bamboo sheets do not get wrinkled much that is why they do not require ironing. It is not recommended to iron bamboo fibre with a very hot iron, because compared to cotton, it does not wrinkle so much. And if after washing you notice protruding ends of the threads, just carefully cut them off with scissors. This is completely normal for any natural fibre.
There is no special need to iron such things made of bamboo, they are so soft that they do not wrinkle, but if you still want to — iron on the “silk” mode or at number 1.
How to Launder Bamboo Bed Sheets Video Guide
How to Store Bamboo Bedding?
It is better to store bamboo bedding on the upper shelves in the closet. It is very convenient to fold each set individually using one of the pillowcases. This will prevent the sheets from jamming and there will be a lot of free space for other bedding.
A good solution would be to store laundry with some kind of flavouring because bamboo fibre absorbs odours perfectly. The pleasant scent of freshness will help you to relax in bed before bed. You can take advantage of the deodorant properties of natural ingredients. For example, use lavender, juniper twigs, orange peels, cinnamon sticks for the smell.
Compliance with the rules for the care of the linen will help it retain colour, smoothness and softness for many years.
That said, bamboo fibre is naturally hypoallergenic and has bactericidal and anti-inflammatory properties: more than 70% of harmful bacteria die on its surface. Thanks to this, bamboo bedding does not grow mouldy even in damp rooms, does not absorb unpleasant odours and does not become sticky to the touch after prolonged use. The porous structure of bamboo fibre makes the fabric breathable and gives it thermoregulatory properties.
Expert Guesses Cheap vs. Expensive Bed Sheets
How to Keep Bamboo Sheets White?
If you want to keep your bamboo sheets white for a very long time, you need to:
- Store white items separately. Separate white and coloured bedsheets before washing. Washing white items along with dark clothing, towels and sheets can cause white discolouration. Even if the colour has not changed, white items may become dull after contact with dark items.
- Clean all stains from bamboo bedding first. Remove stains from your bamboo bedding before washing to accurately remove the stain during washing. There are several detergents available for pre-cleaning stains, including enzymatic cleaners and oxygenated bleaches. But if you want to remove stains with regular home detergents, take dishwashing liquid or shampoo and apply to the stain.
You can also take some liquid laundry detergent and scrub the stain with a new toothbrush. Always read the label before applying stain remover to bamboo bedding.
- After pre-cleaning, soak the bamboo bedding in warm water. If a stain remains after washing, repeat the whole process again before drying the bedding. Drying stained clothes will make the stain virtually impossible to remove.
- Add bleach to lighten bamboo bedding. Buy bleach or use one of the following: lemon juice, white distilled vinegar, or 3% hydrogen peroxide.
- Rinse bamboo bedding thoroughly. This way, you will remove any residual dirt and dirty water that can make it look dull. To make sure that your washing machine is actually washing your whites, you should clean it regularly so that any dirt stuck to the washing machine does not get on your clothes.
- Add half a glass of lemon juice or one glass of white distilled vinegar or 3% peroxide to the washing machine to keep whites white.
- If you’ve used lemon juice, dry your clothes in the sun, as UV rays can also whiten bamboo bedding.
- Get a water softener. Adding a water softener to your wash will improve the look of your whites. Washing white items in hard water can transfer minerals and deposits to bamboo bedding. Half a glass of white distilled vinegar can act as a natural water softener.
- Do not forget that using chlorine to remove stains can cause the fabric to turn yellow. Find out the best way to remove stains for certain items, taking into account the type and colour of the fabric.
How to Launder Bamboo Bed Sheets Video Guide
How Do I Get My Bamboo Sheets White Again?
To get your bamboo sheets white again, you should do the following:
Use Stain Remover to Whiten Bamboo Sheets.
The easiest way to whiten yellowed bamboo sheets, duvet covers and pillowcases is to buy a stain remover in the store and wash the products in its solution.
However, this method requires compliance with the rules:
- Before washing, you need to study the recommendations from the manufacturer on the label: temperature, spin, warnings.
- Laundry should be pre-soaked separately from other items, especially coloured ones.
- For cotton fabrics with embroidery, a chlorine-containing agent is not suitable because its aggressive components will destroy natural fibres.
- To achieve the maximum whitening effect of your bamboo sheets, you need to use products marked “for white”, which include: sodium perborate, fumaric acid, subtilisin.
Boiling Bamboo Sheets to Make Them White
Boiling of clothes, towels, bed linen began to be used in the distant XIV century in Europe, America and Russia. The purpose of boiling products was not only hygienic cleaning of dirt but also disinfection and the destruction of deadly viruses, bacteria, infections. Nowadays boiling is used as a way to eliminate yellowness.
- Get a large container — a bowl or a saucepan.
- The laundry must be placed in cold water with diluted detergent and only then heated.
- Boil the sheets for at least 2 hours, stirring regularly with a wooden spoon.
- Do not remove the bamboo bedding from the container until it cools.
- To add shine and eliminate yellowness, methylene blue solution (blue) is added to the water for rinsing boiled bed linen in proportions — 5 drops per 10 litres. water.
Baking Soda for Bamboo Sheets.
Baking soda can be called one of the safest bleaching agents for bed linen made of different fabrics. This bleach is easy to make at home: in a bucket of water, you need to take 5 tablespoons of ammonia and 10 ordinary soda.
Soak white sheets, other linen in the resulting solution, soak for about 3 hours. After that, you can wash the bed in your usual way.