Undoubtedly, pets bring joy to their owners, but at the same time, they can bring some trouble when it comes to cleaning their fur in the house. One of the main concern of pet owners is how to choose the right carpet if you have a four-legged friend.
So, what is the best carpet if you have pets? If you have pets, it is best to buy a wool or nylon carpet.
Wool is naturally dirt-repellent and its fibres hold dirt on the surface, and the carpet is easy to vacuum. If you want to find out whether the wool carpet is worth the money, check this article.
High-quality nylon has a whole range of useful qualities: it is easy to clean with a washing vacuum cleaner, it does not absorb odour, does not fade in the sun, is antistatic and hypoallergenic.
But there are so many things to pay attention to when you are choosing a pet-friendly carpet, so let’s dive into this.
Is There a Pet-Proof Carpet?
There are quite a few options when we are speaking about per-proof carpets. Pet-proof carpets are ones that will not be a headache for you when it comes to cleaning your pet’s fur out of it.
Pet-proof carpets include the following materials:
What Makes a Rug Pet-Friendly?
- Pet-friendly rugs are very easy to clean and maintain.
- Pet-friendly rugs will not look “worn-out” because of their resistance to frequent cleaning, washing and use of soap, detergent and other household chemicals.
- Pet-friendly rugs are durable, and their look will not worsen even if your cat decides to sharpen its claws. But, of course, it does not mean that you need to appreciate this kind of behaviour.
- Pet-friendly rugs can be taken to a dry cleaner’s or washed in the washing machine.
- Pet-friendly rugs are usually cheap. This is another advantage of wool and nylon, they are quite inexpensive, especially comparing to silk or bamboo carpets.
The most important rule for you to remember if you have pets is that you should consider only wool or nylon carpets. You should not buy cotton, bamboo, silk carpets are much more complex and capricious in care.
Wool is naturally dirt-repellent and its fibres hold dirt on the surface, and the carpet is easy to vacuum.
High-quality nylon is easy to clean with a washing vacuum cleaner, it does not absorb odour, does not fade in the sun, is antistatic and hypoallergenic. If you are a pet owner, go for nylon or wool carpets. They have so many advantages: they are not “capricious”, cheap and easy to clean as well as good for you if you are allergic to something.
Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America has dedicated a lot of time and efforts to the research and came to the conclusion that nylon is the best material for the carpet if you suffer from allergies or asthma.
Also, wool and nylon carpets are usually the most stain-resistant types of carpets, so it is better to get them if you do not want to clean your carpet three times a week. Wool and nylon carpets are truly the best carpets for high traffic areas and pets.
What Is the Worst Carpet If You Have a Pet?
Luxurious Persian or other long-piled rugs are definitely not suitable for houses where cats or dogs live. Fur will certainly be all over the carpet. This will complicate cleaning and can also be dangerous for allergy sufferers and asthmatics.
Of course, you can regularly and very carefully clean such carpets, but this will take a lot of time and will cost a lot, which is extremely troublesome and inconvenient.
Also, pet owners should not buy a handmade carpet. Such carpets can not be cleaned often, especially with the use of abrasive detergents that can remove dirt or other stains left by dogs or cats.
What Colour Carpet Is Best For Pets?
Dust and pet hair are much more visible on a dark carpet, but dirt is better seen on a light carpet. One of the strategies for choosing the colour of the carpet if you have a pet: choosing a rug that exactly matches the colour of your pet’s coat will certainly help turn carpet cleaning from a daily task to a weekly task, especially during moulting. So, the best colour of the carpet depends on your pet’s fur colour.
The colour of the carpet is something that you should pay thorough attention to — a multi-coloured wool carpet will hide dirt and stains much better than a monochromatic one. Of course, you must also take into account the overall design of your apartment.
How Do You Keep Carpets Clean with Pets? How to Remove Fur from the Carpet?
Even if you buy a wool or a nylon carpet, it still needs to be cleaned once in a while. So here are our tips on how to keep your carpet clean if you have pets and you want to remove their fur from your carpet:
- Sweep the carpet with a wet broom. Most likely, you will remove only part of the hair, but you can vacuum clean the remaining fur.
- Clean your carpet with a damp cloth. Starting from one edge, walk around the entire carpet. As the rag cloth becomes covered with wool, wash it in clean water. The method is quite annoying but it allows you to completely get rid of animal hair, even if the situation is quite bad.
- Use a scotch tape. Cut a strip of scotch tape and glue it to the carpet to collect the fibres. Change the tape as it becomes dirty. In the same way, you can clean the upholstery of your furniture.
- Use a fabric softener.
The fastest way to clean your carpet from pets’ fur: mix 1 cup of water and 1 cup of fabric softener and spray onto the carpet using a spray bottle. This solution will help to easily collect wool with a vacuum cleaner.
- Use pet hair removing glove. You can use special mittens for combing cats and dogs, which are sold in pet stores. One side of these products is rubberized that is what animal hair sticks to. Walk the glove not only on the back of your pet but also on the carpet — this will remove most of the fur.
How to Clean Up After Your Pets Video Guide
How Often Should You Clean Your Carpet with Pets?
It is recommended to clean your carpet with a vacuum cleaner at least once a week. Even if you can’t see much fur on it, it still collects dust and microbes which can cause an allergy.
The United States Environmental Protection Agency has published a paper on how frequently the carpet should be cleaned.
If we talk about general cleaning — it is recommended to do so at least once a month. We recommend you to use the tips for cleaning the carpet in the previous paragraphs.
Pet Hair Removal — 7 Best Ways
Is It Worth Getting Carpets Professionally Cleaned?
There is nothing wrong with getting your carpets professionally cleaned once every two or three months if you have finances to do so.
If you have a nylon or a wool carpet, it can be taken to a dry cleaner’s, but be careful with “capricious” carpets that are made of silk or cotton — they are more demanding when it comes to cleaning so it is better to avoid dry cleaner’s.