Buying a refrigerator is a responsible and serious task. When you switch on the refrigerator for the first time, you need to make sure that it is working properly. There are often strange noises in the refrigerator. This is a malfunction that you need and can fix with your own hands.
Is it normal for a new refrigerator to make noise? It is absolutely normal for a new refrigerator to make noise during the first minutes after the first switching on. A fridge cannot run completely silently, so you can hear some clicking or rattling. However, it is not normal for a new refrigerator to make noise after a couple of hours after turning on.
If the hum is stronger than the manufacturer’s declared values, the cause may be a breakdown.
Let’s find out the possible reasons why your new fridge makes noise.
Why Is My New Refrigerator So Noisy?
- Noise can be generated by improper placement of the refrigerator in the room.
How to fix: You need to control the very installation of the refrigerator in the room. The refrigerator should be located at a sufficient distance from the walls. Also, if the refrigerator is in place for a long time, you need to move it a little.
- When new refrigerators are equipped with a special “No Frost” defrost technology, noise may occur due to a fan malfunction. It slightly defrosts the walls of the refrigerator against excessive frost and ice formation. The fan is noisy due to adjustment.
How to fix: you need to first defrost the unit, then adjust the fan correctly. The new refrigerator runs loudly due to the fan setting.
- The noise from the refrigerator may be caused by an improperly installed compressor. With a fuzzy installation, the compressor loosens over time and the vibration from its operation goes to the entire space of the refrigerator and because of this, the refrigerator compressor works loudly.
How to fix: you need to carefully fix the compressor so that it does not get loose.
- It is necessary to trace the operation of the refrigerator itself and determine the relationship between the state of rest and the state of operation of it.
How to fix: perhaps the noise, in this case, is due to non-compliance with the work and rest regime. Work and rest should be one to two. If this is violated, then the motor wears out quickly.
- Mismatch in the operating temperature range. Each refrigerator has its own climate class, which determines the temperature range of the device. For example, class N models operate at temperatures between 16-32 C. If the temperature is higher, it is likely that the compressor will be noisy due to the increased performance.
How to fix: Install an air conditioner in the kitchen and keep the temperature in the room according to the class.
|Fridge Malfunction Signs||Possible Problem|
|The refrigerator makes noise and hums when the motor-compressor is running.||Most likely, the motor-compressor is worn out. The result was the formation of backlash in parts: perhaps the pistons or piston rings are worn out. As a result, loud noises are heard during the operation of worn-out units.
Decompression of the motor also occurs with severe wear of parts. In this case, in addition to loud sounds during operation, a longer operation of the motor-compressor will be noted.
Motor replacement is required.
|The refrigerator makes noise when the motor-compressor is running, especially loud noise is heard at the beginning and end of work.||Most likely, the shock absorbers of the compressor have weakened and the vibrations from the running motor are especially audible. There is a jerk when starting and stopping, so the sound is amplified.
Shock adjustment is required.
|No-frost refrigerator makes noise like grinding||The fan in the freezer is most likely making noise. Sometimes a layer of ice will freeze near the fan. The spinning fan hits the ice with the blades, and you hear a creak and noise.
Complete defrosting of the refrigerator is required: at least 10 hours! If after a while the problem with ice freezing recurs, this may indicate a number of malfunctions. Perhaps the refrigerator door is not airtight or the evaporator heater is out of order (in models with "no-frost"). In both cases, turn off the refrigerator and call the wizard for diagnostics. Operating the refrigerator with these malfunctions can lead to failure of the fan motor, and then it will also have to be changed.
You may need to repair or replace the refrigerator door seal or replace the evaporator heater
Do new fridges get quieter? New fridges do get quieter. Even though new fridges may make some noise in the beginning, they get quieter very fast. To cool completely and return to normal operation, the new refrigerator needs up to a week. The fridge can make a loud noise in the first hours, while the refrigerant fills the system and the temperature in the chambers gets stabilized.
Should the fridge be silent? A fridge should not and cannot be absolutely silent. Any compressor installation, at least a little, but makes noise and vibrates. These features are eliminated by technical means: shock-absorbing devices and optimization of the refrigerant pressure. Therefore, it is useless to expect a complete absence of noise from the refrigerator, even if it is new.
Refrigerator Is Noisy — Refrigerator Troubleshooting
New Fridge Installation
It is crucial, however, to install the fridge properly if you do not want it to make noise. Here is how to do it:
The main rule of turning on the refrigerator for the first time is to wait time from the moment of delivery. How long should a new fridge stand before turning on? The time of standing for a new fridge before turning on depends on the method of transportation and the temperature outside and ranges from 2 to 8 hours: if the device was travelling in the “lying” position in frosty conditions, then liquids will take longer to return to their normal state.
- Delete the packing, fixing elements, pieces of scotch tape, foam. Check the back wall, inspect the compressor, remove foreign objects. Sometimes there is no such item in the instructions and an accidental piece of cardboard or foam becomes the cause of discomfort.
- First cleaning. The devices smell like new plastic, rubber, the air stagnates inside. Over time, extraneous odours disappear. To speed up the removal of the “novelty” scent, use detergents or water and vinegar.
- Choosing a place for installation. Place the refrigerator on a flat, solid surface with at least 5 cm of free space for air circulation on all sides. It is recommended to place the device away from heaters and a stove – at least 50 cm.
Sometimes the refrigerator is tilted back so that the doors slam shut themselves, but over time, the rattling of parts appears, and such a slope looks too noticeable for tall models. Adjust the feet, try opening the door. Most designs provide the ability to outweigh the doors – now is the time.
- Turning on. For the safe operation of the fridge, it is recommended to use a surge protector to protect the equipment from power surges. Connect the fridge. All models come with standard settings, including refrigerators with electronic control units.
- After switching on, there is just time to read the instructions on the functions of the device, since it is too early to place products.
- Do not put food in the refrigerator that is just turned on. During the first hours, the compressor works without interruption, bringing the internal temperature to the specified in the settings.
Humming Noise from the Fridge
Why is my fridge making a loud humming noise? If your fridge is making a loud humming noise, it is not necessarily a breakdown, perhaps this sound is normal for your refrigerator.
How loud should a refrigerator be? Modern refrigerator manufacturers indicate that a fridge should have the level of noise at 55 dB, which is not louder than when people speak.
Let’s look at the reasons why your fridge is making a loud humming noise and what you can do to reduce the noise.
- Motor-compressor bolts. Shipping bolts secure motor shock absorbers to prevent damage during transit. If, after installing the equipment, they are not removed, the shock absorbers will not work, and the refrigerator will make a loud noise.
- Incorrect installation. Check if the feet of the appliance are evenly touching the floor. If not, they need to be adjusted. Make sure that there is a space of at least 5 cm between the refrigerator and the walls, furniture. When the radiator is too close to the wall, air access is difficult.
- Incorrect loading of products. If you place dishes on the shelves, they may touch and rattle. You need to place the containers away from each other.
- If the refrigerator makes noise only when it switches on, then there is nothing to worry about. This is normal because the motor needs power to “accelerate” to operate.
- Use of refrigerant. When circulating gas in pipes, extraneous sounds may appear. There are also more serious malfunctions that require repair.
The abovementioned reasons are quite easy to fix. Unfortunately, there are some other serious problems that can make your fridge hum, let’s see what they are:
- Fan Problems. Refrigerators with a No Frost system have cooling fans. You need to check if the fans are covered with a layer of ice. If so, then it is not surprising why the refrigerator makes noise and humming. The blades catch on icy parts, the normal operation of the device is disrupted. To fix the malfunction, you need to defrost the fridge for 10 hours.
Also, check the condition of the fan bearing: when grease is washed out of it, it starts to creak or hum. After defrosting, relubricate the bearing.
- Electrical malfunction. A problem with the start-up relay is observed when the refrigerator loudly clicks and pops during operation. After that, the equipment may turn off. Only replacing the relay will help. If you do not know how to carry out repairs, it is better to contact a repairman.
Malfunction of the fan motor winding also leads to an increase in noise in refrigerators. Use a multimeter to check if the windings are working properly. If a short circuit or leak is found on the case, the engine will need to be replaced.
The same applies to the motor-compressor. If there is a lot of noise, place your hand on the back of the refrigerator. If it is hot, then the motor is overheating and needs a check. If the heating element burns out, ice forms on the evaporator, which interferes with the operation of the motor. Therefore, the motor starts humming strongly. The heating element wiring circuit and its contacts are called by a multimeter. In the event of a malfunction, the heater is replaced.
- Damage to the motor-compressor. When the motor-compressor is worn out, the refrigerator starts to hum. The reason may be the weakening of nodes and other parts. The malfunction can be expressed in the long-term operation of the motor without shutdown.
The repairman will be able to install a working part. It is worth checking the compressor shock absorbers, which dampen vibrations. If they are worn out or loosened, then vibration during operation will be given throughout the body. Shock absorbers need to be adjusted or replaced.
- Clogged piping. Excessive noises can be caused by a clogged throttle and refrigerator filter. At the same time, the cold is produced less intensively, the motor-compressor works with a vengeance and begins to hum more strongly.
Unfortunately, it will not be possible to remove the blockage on your own, since special tools are required. Therefore, it is better to contact the service centre. To avoid buying a noisy device, pay attention to the body of the refrigerator. There is a sticker indicating the energy efficiency class and noise level. Follow the installation instructions, do not place the refrigerator close to the wall. You will avoid many problems by following the operating rules.
How do I stop my fridge from making noise? You should not stop your fridge from making noise. All fridge malfunctions that lead to loud noises require professional intervention. The specialist will carry out diagnostics, finally clarify the cause of the breakdown and make repairs. If the owner tries to do this without the appropriate skills and tools, such an initiative can not only destroy the device but also turn out to be dangerous to them.
Is a noisy fridge dangerous? A noisy fridge is not dangerous. The abovementioned noises during the operation of the refrigerator are of a functional nature and do not affect the quality of the refrigerator. These noises are general and can occur regardless of the refrigerator model and brand.
When choosing a refrigerator, take an interest in the noise level set by the manufacturer on the fridge you like, and prepare a place for it away from resting places. Unfortunately, completely silent refrigerators do not yet exist, although work in this direction is being actively carried out.
That said if you buy a new refrigerator and the noise of the refrigerator seems too loud to you, check that the shipping bolts that fix the compressor mounting springs have been removed. If they aren’t removed, the springs will not be able to absorb the vibration of the compressor, which is why the refrigerator makes an especially loud noise.
Make sure the appliance is level. Place a spirit level on its top and measure the slope. Adjust the height of the feet until the unit is level. Pay attention to whether the refrigerator is in contact with furniture. For normal operation of the unit, leave a gap of 5-10 cm.
It will take 3-5 days for the new fridge to get quieter and start operating normally. In this case, the noise level can be overestimated.